Sunday, April 10, 2011

Between Two Ends by David Ward



For everyone who has ever wished you could jump into the pages of a book, this one is for you.

This is a story that features a boy named Yeats, Shaharazad, a talking tiger, pirate bookmarks, a library of wonders and magic and many many more. The plot begins when the 12-year-old boy visits his grandmother's house along with his parents, who appear to be wary of the mysterious building, and almost immediately upon arriving begin to talk and argue about magic and tragedy and suspicious adventures. Yeats, intrigued by all this  beggs them to tell him what they are talking about, but they refuse, so he wanders off, a magic wish on his lips. That is just the beginning of his incredible adventures.

I loved everything about this book. I couldn't stop reading it. I loved the adventure and the humour, I loved the courage and the self-sacrifice of the young hero of the book, I loved the realism of his grandmother and the moodiness of his father. 
I wish this book was around when I was 12 myself, but even now it was fascinating to read, that's why I would recommend it for every age. Everything in this book was very real the descriptions, the characters. It made me feel along with them, the danger, the anguish, the sorrow, the redemption.

Perhaps at some point I wished the plot was a bit more developed, but it was still very interesting. Generally, the whole idea of this book is ingenious in my opinion and I enjoyed it very much. At the end of the book, it leaves some loose threads open in a way that obviously leads to a sequel, which I would be incredibly excited to read. 

I read this book in the NetGalley, and I plan to purchase it as soon as it is out.

Rating:4/5

Publication Date: 5/1/2011


Share on Tumblr

No comments: